TAO Quickstart Guide
Access step-by-step lessons for getting started with authoring, managing test-takers, delivering tests, and accessing results in TAO.
- How Do I Manage Users and Their Roles?
- How Do I Import Assessment Content Into the System?
- How Do I Manage Test-Takers?
- How Do I Manage Look and Feel, and Add My Own Logo?
- How Do I Start Developing My Own Assessment Content?
How to Create a Test in TAO
Walk through the steps of building your first test in TAO with this video tutorial.See all articles
Making the Most of the Asset Manager
This course gives an overview of the Asset Manager and shows you how to import, create, and manage assets in TAO.
- Overview of the Asset Manager
- Types and Formats of Assets in TAO
- Who on Your TAO Instance Has Access to the Asset Manager?
- Updating the Contents of the Asset Manager
- How to Use Your Assets in Assessments
Working With Metadata in TAO
This course will show you how you can use metadata in TAO to organize and analyze your items and tests in different ways.
- Using Metadata to Classify Your Items in TAO
- Open-Ended Metadata
- Closed-Ended Metadata
- Using Metadata When Assembling Tests
- Using Metadata to Define Outcomes
Configuring Interactions: What Possibilities do You Have?
Get an overview of the many different configuration options available for interactions.
- Using labels that are easy to interpret
- Randomizing the Order of Choices
- Giving test-takers marks for partially correct answers
- Telling test-takers how many choices they need to tick
Randomization in Items and Tests
This course explores several possibilities for randomizing questions in TAO assessments.
- Introduction to Randomization in TAO
- Randomization at the Item Level
- Randomization at Test Level
- Sample Test Download
All You Need to Know About Test-Takers
This course looks at how to register and manage your test-takers in TAO. It gives tips on how to organize them in the most efficient way.
- How to Get Your Test-Takers Into Your TAO Instance
- Mandatory Information for Test-Takers
- Additional Information for Test-Takers
- Test-Taker Libraries
- Group Assignment in TAO
All About Deliveries
This course provides a practical overview of how to create and execute test deliveries in TAO.
- What is a delivery?
- Common ways to generate a delivery
- Additional ways to publish a delivery
- Setting constraints for the execution of your delivery
- Delivering tests via LTI
Setting up LTI
Discover how to set up LTI to launch exams from any Learning Management System that supports the standard.See all articles
Proctoring Assessments in TAO
This course gives a short introduction to the two proctoring methods supported in TAO and discusses the use cases for each.
- Why and how to proctor an assessment
- Setting up proctors in TAO
- Setting up deliveries to be proctored in TAO
- What can a proctor do?
- Proctoring assessments delivered using LTI
How Does Scoring Work in TAO?
There are several possible ways of scoring tests that have been delivered in TAO.
- An introduction to scoring in TAO
- Scoring test questions
- Generating scores for a test
- Item weighting in categories
- Item weighting in tests
Interpreting Results Tables in TAO
Discover best practices for interpreting assessment results in TAO.
- Introduction to interpreting results tables in TAO
- Lay-out of results tables
- Overview of the test results ('Test Variables' table)
- Scores and results (content of the 'Test Variables' table)
- Statistics on the individual test items
Writing Your Own Scoring Rules for Your Assessments: An Example
This course takes a single test item as an example and leads you through the steps necessary to define your own scoring process for it.
- Overview of writing your own scoring rules
- An example scenario
- Inserting interactions into an item
- Configuring the interactions
- Previewing the item
Using the Advanced Search
The Advanced Search function increases the capability of searches in TAO to find what you need in your libraries more efficiently.
- Advantages of the Advanced Search
- How to open the advanced search
- How and where to search
- Switching between the TAO and the Advanced Search interface
Best Practices for Working with Multiple Users in a Small-scale Authoring Scenario Part 1: Set-up
- Part 1: Setting up your working environment
- Your TAO instance and the Global Manager
- Who is going to do what?
- Item authors
- Test authors
Best Practices for Working with Multiple Users in a Small-scale Authoring Scenario Part 2: Workflow
- Part 2: Defining your workflow
- Creating new items
- Previewing items
- Transferring items to the main library
- Putting tests together
Thinking About Test Questions (and Choosing Interactions) According to Task Type: Part 1
See all articles
Thinking About Test Questions (and Choosing Interactions) According to Task Type: Part 2
- Sub-types of IDENTIFY
- Task sub-type: CHOOSE
- Differentiating between the interactions available for task CHOOSE
- Task sub-type: PINPOINT
- Differentiating between the interactions available for task PINPOINT
Thinking About Test Questions (and Choosing Interactions) According to Task Type: Part 3
- Sub-tasks of CONNECT
- Task sub-type: LINK
- Differentiating between the interactions available for LINK
- Task sub-type: ORDER
- Differentiating between the interactions available for task ORDER
Thinking About Test Questions (and Choosing Interactions) According to Task Type: Part 4
- Sub-types of COMPLETE
- Task sub-type: FILL
- Differentiating between the interactions available for task FILL
- Task sub-type: CONFIRM
- Summary as a flowchart
Thinking About Test Questions (and Choosing Interactions) According to Task Type: Part 5
- Sub-types of PRODUCE
- Task sub-type: EXPLAIN
- Differentiating between the interactions available for task EXPLAIN
- Task sub-type: CREATE
- Differentiating between the interactions available for task CREATE
- Introduction to optimizing pictures
- When is a picture “too large” and why?
- Choosing the right format
- How large should your pictures be?
- Compressing pictures
All About Extensions
- What is an extension?
- The relationship between features and extensions
- Features included in every TAO instance
- Optional features
- Features for use in authoring tests and test materials
Stylesheets in Assessment Items
- Audience and Context
- Limitations of items stylesheets
- Styled items as templates
- Using existing scopes
- Custom scopes with class names
TAO for RTL Languages
- Introduction to RTL in TAO
- Configuring the Language
- Interactions available in RTL mode
- An example of a RTL item
- Specifying the interface language of a test-taker